"For me, one of the best things about the ODI’s Advanced Leaders Programme was its consistent focus on the application of learning to practice. This was achieved by integrating excellent theoretical content, delivered by wonderful presenters, with a range of really user-friendly tools and personal appraisals. In the words of Da Vinci, “knowing is not enough, we must apply”. Having graduated from the course with a personal Leadership Development Plan that’s both aspirational and achievable, that’s precisely what I now intend to do! "(Nicola Woodward, CEO)
This programme has been delivered as a public programme and is able to be customised and delivered in-house.
The Advanced Leaders Programme is founded on five key themes and a core set of leadership behaviours.
Five Key Themes that encompass the leadership agenda of sustainable organisations are integrated throughout the programme - Balance and Social Responsibility, A Whole Systems Perspective, Positive Values-Based Leadership, Creativity, Innovation and High Value Add, Evidence-Based Best Practice.
The programme addresses all ten competencies and related behaviours at the tactical and strategic levels on our Leadership Competencies Framework. These competencies embody the core behaviours required of 21st Century leaders - Adaptability, Collaboration, Communication, Creativity and Innovation, People Development, Personal Leadership, Planning, Results Focus, and Vision and Strategy.
This is an integrated programme that spans several months and comprises a number of components:
- Prior to commencement, participants undergo a 360o review against the tactical and strategic level behaviours on our Leadership Competencies Framework (or their organisation's framework) to identify their leadership strengths and improvement opportunities.
- Participants take part in a series of experiential workshops with a few weeks between each. The workshops include tools and exercises aimed at facilitating personal reflection and action planning. When delivered as a public programme, the following workshops were included:
- Leadership Tasks, Skills and Vision
- Leading Teams
- Leading Sustainable Organisations
- Leading Strategy
- Leading Marketing
- Leading Change
- Leading Creativity and Innovation
- Personal Leadership and Resilience
- Participants are supported between workshops by individual coaching to ensure workplace enactment of new leadership behaviours. This can be provided by internal coaches or one of our specialist coaches.
- During the programme participants construct a Leadership Development Plan that applies a strategic visioning process to their personal career aspirations. This plan builds on their personal values and career purposes to inform the development of a statement of career intent and an action plan to achieve it.
- Personal Learning Journals are used throughout the programme for participants to record insights and plan actions from what they've learned from the various programme components.
- A Workplace Application Tool is used to support enactment of new leadership behaviours and to foster a reflective leadership habit. Coaching support can be provided to assist with this.