In our diverse organisations, we all need to consider how inclusive our workplace really is. Building a truly inclusive workplace is about creating safe and respectful interactions for everyone.
Inclusivity is a feeling, it's a mindset, it's the way we behave and interact. It's how we act, the way we speak, and the way that we think.
By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the concepts of diversity and inclusivity, and the need for both in the workplace
- recognise the thoughts and actions that impact achieving real inclusivity
- recognise your own knowledge about, attitudes towards, and behaviours toward diverse groups
- review your current practices and experiences
- develop small and larger practical solutions that can be implemented immediately and over time.
- Concepts of diversity and inclusivity
- What gets in the way - stereotyping, bias (conscious and unconscious), prejudice, discrimination
- Own biases
- Others' experiences and perspectives
- Behaviours including micro-aggression (unintentional discriminatory acts)
- Other barriers to inclusion
- Impact of thoughts and actions in the workplace on individuals, teams and organisations
- Legal and ethical implications
- Elements of gender, ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, age, religion, ability, socio-economic status
- Impact of harassment
So Where Are We At?
- Audit of current practices to identify opportunities, including communication practices, work environment, HR practices
- Steps to support building a culture that embraces diversity and ensures true inclusivity - individual actions and team actions