In our diverse organisations, we all need to consider how inclusive our workplace really is. Building a truly inclusive workplace is about creating safe and respectful interactions for everyone.
Inclusivity is a feeling, it's a mindset, it's the way we behave and interact. It's how we act, the way we speak, and the way that we think.
Participation in this workshop will enable you to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the concepts of diversity and inclusivity, and the need for both in the workplace
- recognise the thoughts and actions that impact achieving real inclusivity
- recognise your own knowledge about, attitudes towards, and behaviours toward diverse groups
- review your current practices and experiences
- develop small and larger practical solutions that can be implemented immediately and over time.
- Concepts of diversity and inclusivity
- What gets in the way - stereotyping, bias (conscious and unconscious), prejudice, discrimination
- Own biases
- Others' experiences and perspectives
- Behaviours including micro-aggression (unintentional discriminatory acts)
- Other barriers to inclusion
- Impact of thoughts and actions in the workplace on individuals, teams and organisations
- Legal and ethical implications
- Elements of gender, ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, age, religion, ability, socio-economic status
- Impact of harassment
So Where Are We At?
- Audit of current practices to identify opportunities, including communication practices, work environment, HR practices
- Steps to support building a culture that embraces diversity and ensures true inclusivity - individual actions and team actions