This workshop introduces the discipline of project management as a means to manage complex multi-disciplinary efforts of a technical or non-technical nature in the modern environment of high change and uncertainty.
This workshop is for those who have, or are about to have, responsibility for managing projects at any level. It assumes that participants have no previous formal training in project management.
A more advanced workshop can be developed for those wanting more indepth content for people already in project management roles.
Day 1 focuses on the basics of project management. Key project manager duties - initiating, planning and controlling the work - are all dealt with in a tool/framework agnostic approach. The content is broadly aligned with most project management frameworks and is therefore widely applicable.
Participants will build a picture of their project in a ‘2-pager’ and collaborate with the group on their respective projects as the content unfolds.
Day 2 extends learning into the more challenging aspects of project management - dealing with people, implementing change, influencing and negotiating.
Participation in this workshop will enable you to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the total project life cycle within a wider business context
- communicate regarding project management in a standardised terminology
- define and control a project baseline
- manage uncertainty and respond appropriately to change
- better influence, negotiate and manage outcomes with your team, and with broader stakeholders
- adjust your leadership style to match the situation/people you’re dealing with
- better understand and influence your senior stakeholders.
- Definition and principles of project management
- Basic project stages - initiation, planning, execution, close
- Defining and measuring objectives and benefits
- Project success factors - governance, stakeholders, environment, team, process
- Baseline establishment and control (cost, schedule, scope)
- Tracking and reporting
- Change tracking and risk management
- Implementing change
- Influencing up - reporting to and working with senior stakeholders and customers
- Negotiation tips and tricks
- Working with difficult people - salty old dogs, resistors etc